nicking on the forums

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by _Dragonslayer, Sep 19, 2018.

?

Forum nick?

This poll will close on Nov 19, 2018 at 7:06 AM.
  1. No

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. YES

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. _Dragonslayer

_Dragonslayer Well-Known Member

Nick on the forums? You'd be able to click "change nick" right next to recent activity, postings & information. Only well-known-members will be able to use it, also you can go to your pfp again and go right next to "Change Nick" and click on "Don't See Nicks." So the way you can change nicks is kinda like the same way you change your signature, except nicks can only be 16 characters long max. You will be able to tell if it's a nick by seeing that the nicked player's name is in pink. I don't really think this will get added in but yea it's kinda cool and it'd make the forums WAY more popular by being one of the only and maybe the 1st and only forums to have a nick command :) Please consider this.

2. AirDog46

AirDog46 Well-Known Member

This could cause confusion for new players so maybe not. They'll think it's a rank or smth.

Comical likes this.
  3. MiningWesley2K

MiningWesley2K Well-Known Member

Is this even possible? AFAIK they would need the XenForo team to make that a feature, and I doubt they would do this. btw, XenForo is the forums software used by this server and other servers, e.g. Hypixel.

Comical likes this.
  4. _Dragonslayer

They could do it ;p

5. MiningWesley2K

MiningWesley2K Well-Known Member

Does TehNeon even have any experience in this thing?

6. _Dragonslayer

probably not... I have an idea.. gOoGlE iT

7. r00lette

r00lette Well-Known Member

XenForo isn't closed sourced. You are able to make plugins/add ons. I'm not too sure on the details but there are plugins that allow nickname changes if you google it.

Comical likes this.
  8. _Dragonslayer

I was right :eek:

9. aiht

aiht Well-Known Member

Yea I get you. Honestly there's like no achievement or reward for any "rank" on the forums. So theres no point in building up to one. But then again It's just the forums of a server so I can't complain. Also I don't think this is the best idea. I think there's no point in having it rlly. But good suggestion. Would be cool to see sum changes.

_Dragonslayer likes this.
  10. _Dragonslayer

yes it is useless but invaded could get more popular be being the first or 1 of only few forums to have nicking

11. MM_TAKI

MM_TAKI Well-Known Member

I cannot really see the clear reason for having it.
    I understand some people wants to hide their identity but I believe forum does not need "Nick"
    Simply because it is not useful here.
    Well goo imagination and thought.

12. r00lette

Some players may want to change their forum username to reflect any changes in their MC username. I don't think these forums do that automatically.

13. MM_TAKI

MM_TAKI Well-Known Member

Then change the forum username. Nicking is to temporarily change the name to hide their identity. You may change your username then. Also there is no other reason to add them! So I don’t think it should be there. ALSO, since I used to program python css hump c language and others... it is probably really hard to do so. I was once able to put your self into private mode where your tag will become “Private” put never could change the name. It may be my lack of skills but I am sure it is harder than you expect. Also, what if some one start spamming rude things while nicked? Even though they may be a well know member, there can be a problem. I put my vote into “no” for these reasons.

Sorry for my english. I am grammar is very bad :(

14. r00lette

You can't. If you go on your user profile, there's no option to change it.
    I'm not an expert on Xenforo configuration, but there are premade plugins that allow for nicknames/username change. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/username-change-by-siropu.4144/

Then they get punished? I don't see why this would be a problem. They spam rude things, get reported, lose privileges and that's the end of the issue. There's no risk of impersonation because the staff team has access to who is actually using what username.